A commitment to living the organisational values of Team work,
Dignity, Justice, Advocacy and Quality
National Learning Network is the training and employment division of the Rehab Group. We have over 50 years’ experience in the area of training for employment or further education and benefit from a hugely experienced multi-disciplinary team of nearly 600 teachers, trainers, programme development officers, psychologists, counsellors and employment support staff.
Communications Support Officer
Fixed Term Contract, 23 months 30 hours
The role of the Communication Support Worker is to facilitate communication between the deaf learner and others including instructors, other staff and their peers within the training environment
Minimum Education & Skills required
- ISL Interpreter B.A Degree/ NFQ Level 7/ ISL Teacher NFQ Level 7/ Deaf Studies B.A Degree and or Experience of being immersed in the Deaf community with a fluency that meets the communication support requirement of the learner
- Experience of interpreting for adults/young people with a focus on social interaction and learning
- Experience of working in a training/educational environment
- Experience of working on own initiative with a professional and confident approach
- Experience of working with adults/young people with disabilities and managing behaviours that challenge
- Fluency in Irish Sign Language to degree level desirable
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the learner to achieve their individual action plan goals under the supervision of the instructor. The Communications Support Worker will be an active participant in the IAP process and should know and understand the IAP goals and objectives. Some goals may be directly related to the interpreting or communication process. Learner goals may require the Communications Support Worker to modify language and content or expand interpretation in order to provide vocabulary training
- Support instructors and staff to learn Irish Sign Language in order to facilitate communication between the learner and staff
- Convey the message and intent of the instructor and other staff at the language level which is appropriate and challenging for the learner to ensure that the learner understands the concepts while conveying the message accurately
- Support the learner to stay on task and encourage s/he to participate fully in all aspects of their programme by following their timetable and instruction from staff. Encourage work related skills and behaviour appropriate to the training environment.
- Ability to take direction
- Ability to manage and adapt to a changing environment
- Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Company Pension Scheme
- Paid maternity leave
- Paid paternity leave
- 24 days annual leave
- Bike to work scheme
- Tax saver travel scheme
- Income protection
Closing Date 26th July 2021
To view full extensive job description please, click apply to visit our company site and download attachment at the bottom of the page.
These duties and responsibilities are a reflection of the present service requirements and may be subject to review and amendment to meet the changing needs of the services.
The Rehab Group is an equal opportunity employer