Responsibilities will include:
1. Assess patient care needs and plan, implement and evaluate programmes of care, using research-based practice and agreed nursing model(s).
2. Manage allocated patients in a structured, organised and safe manner.
3 Deliver holistic care in accordance with hospital policies, procedures and guidelines and in accordance with the Code of Professional Conduct and within the Scope of Practice Framework.
4. Promote patient advocacy and maintain patients privacy and dignity.
5. Play an active role in infection prevention and control and ensure the hygiene and cleanliness of the hospital is maintained at a high standard.
5. Work effectively within the multi-disciplinary team.
6. Involve patients and their relatives in the delivery of patients care in preparation for discharge.
7. Help to maintain an effective learning environment for trained staff, students and course participants.
8. Act as a facilitator and supervisor for Health Care Assistants
1. Adhere to all NMBI Guidelines and legislative documentation
2. Contribute to nursing quality assurance by assisting in data collection, audit and research programmes, practice development initiatives and be involved directly/indirectly in nursing committees/groups etc., within the hospital.
3. Attend all mandatory Hospital study days
4. Be responsible for on-going nursing education by way of Faculty of Nursing Courses or other on-going nurse education in U.L. and participate in seminars and study days arranged by St. John's Hospital.
1. On an occasional basis and on night duty, to act as Shift Leader/Nurse-in-Charge in the absence of senior staff, following the CNM’s operational practices and requirements so far as your knowledge and experience permit.
2. Act as an effective role model and seek to develop effective leadership skills.
3. Share responsibility for appropriate and cost-effective use of resources.
4. Maintain and promote effective working relationships.
5. Maintain effective communication and dissemination of information.
6. Ensure that all untoward incidents, accidents and hazards are actioned and followed up in accordance with hospital policies and practices .
7. Participate in performance reviews of junior and support staff.
Health & Safety
1. Promote the safety and wellbeing of patients, staff and any other persons, at all times.
2. Assist in ensuring a safe working environment.
3. Maintain own awareness of, and comply with, policies and procedures relating to Health and Safety (whether statutory, hospital or ward-based), and assist in ensuring the compliance of other staff.
4. Be familiar with fire instructions and participate in organised fire drill as directed by hospital authorities from time to time.
Policies and Procedures
Comply with and adhere to all Hospital policies and procedures.
This description outlines the main duties and responsibilities of the post and is subject to review and amendment to reflect the changing needs of the hospital service. The extent and speed of change in the delivery of health care is such that adaptability is essential. The incumbent will be required to establish, maintain, enhance and develop their professional knowledge, skills and aptitudes in order to respond to a developing service situation.
For further information or to apply for this role, please contact Eanna by e-mail with your updated CV to [email protected]